21 April 2019


Defence tries to discredit Coligny murder key witnesses’ testimony 

by: Nthusang Lefafa    date: 12 june 2018

The defence team in the murder trial of 16-year-old, Matlhomola Moshoeu, told the court that the main witness keeps changing his version of what he saw on the day of the alleged murder and this means that his account cannot be admissible as evidence.
Two men are on trial at the North West High Court in Mahikeng for the teenager’s murder in April last year. 
Farm employees, Pieter Doorewaard and Phillip Schutte, are accused of killing Moshoeu after he was allegedly found stealing sunflower pits on their employer’s Rietvlei Farm.  
Bonakele Pakisi, the only man who saw what happened on the day Moshoeu met his untimely death, is currently on the witness stand as the trial enters its second week after being postponed for nearly two months. 
Defence lawyer, Hennie Du Plessis, said his client had never left Coligny on the day of the murder and added that - in fact - Doorewaard had never met Pakisi in his life. 
“Cellphone records clearly indicate that my client had never left Coligny on the day the alleged murder occurred. In fact, my client has never crossed paths with Pakisi as alluded to by the witness. The fact that the witness keeps changing the versions of his testimony from the statement he gave to police is a clear indication that he cannot be trusted,” said du Plessis. 
Pakisi denied the claim by the defence that he has never crossed paths with the accused. He told the court that the events, which transpired on the day of the murder, had left him traumatised and he keeps having regular flashbacks of the incident. As a result, he is even taking medication for depression, a condition he did not suffer from before the encounter with the accused. 
The main witness in the murder trial also told the court that he was not happy with the manner in which the initial investigations had been handled by a Warrant Officer Sponkane of Coligny Police Station because he failed to give him feedback on the case and instead told him that the evidence had “disappeared”. 
On Friday, court had to be adjourned because the key witness was not feeling well. “I am feeling feverish and it is cold inside the court room. The medication which I am taking for depression is also finished,” Pakisi told the court. 
The Coligny “sunflower” murder trial is in its second week, after a postponement of more than a month. Pakisi, the key witness, is still under cross-examination.
Last week, Pakisi broke down as he told the court about the alleged assault he suffered at the hands of Doorewaard and Schutte.
The two accused are currently out on R5000 bail each. The trial continues.