15 October 2019


Sunflower accused claims he never met key witness

by: Nthusang Lefafa   date: 19 June 2018

One of the accused in the Coligny "sunflower" murder trial has told the North West High Court that he had never met the state’s key witness, Bonakele Pakisi.

Farmworkers Pieter Doorewaard and Phillip Schutte are standing trial at the North West High Court sitting in Mahikeng, for the murder of 16 year-old Matlhomola Moshoeu last year.

The Coligny teenager was allegedly caught stealing sunflower pits on Rietvlei Farm by Doorewaard and Schutte. He died later that day under circumstances that the court is now interrogating.  

On Monday Doorewaard testified that he had never seen Pakisi until the murder trial had commenced.

"The first time I saw Pakisi was at the inspection in loco that was done at the start of the court case. I cannot say that I deprived Pakisi of his freedom since I have never seen him before," he said.

Doorewaard also testified that he first saw Matlhomola Moshoeu on the morning of Thursday 20 April 2017, the day the teenager died.

The accused told the court that Moshoeu voluntarily climbed onto the van after him and his co-accused Schutte caught him stealing sunflower. He said their intention was to take Moshoeu to the local police station to report the alleged crime he committed.

Doorewaard said he drove with Moshoeu at the back of the van and after about a 200 metre drive this is when he realised that Moshoeu had jumped off the van.

He further told the court that he returned to go and look for Moshoeu and found him laying on the gravel road with blood coming out of his mouth and that he was still breathing. He said at this point, there was nothing he could do for Moshoeu.

Last week the North West High Court dismissed an application for the accused to be discharged under section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Act.

The court dismissed the application to discharge the duo, but they were acquitted on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The two are currently out on R5000 bail each for charges of murder, intimidation, kidnapping, theft and pointing of a firearm.

The trial continues.