19 September 2018


THE OFFICIAL BOKONE BOPHIRIMA GOVERNMENT NEWSPAPER

Coligny ‘sunflower murder’ trial postponed for two months

by: Nthusang Lefafa   date: 22 july 2018

The murder trial that has become
popularly known as the Coligny ‘sunflower murder’ one has been postponed until 3 September
2018.
The North West High Court sitting in
Mahikeng has heard testimony from the
state’s key witness, Bonakele Pakisi and
then from one of the accused Pieter Doorewaard.

Farmworkers Doorewaard and Phillip Schutte are on trial for the murder of 16 year-old Matlhomola Moshoeu in April last year. The Coligny teenager was allegedly
caught stealing sunflower pits
on Rietvlei Farm by Doorewaard and Schutte. He died later that day under circumstances
that the court is now interrogating. Before the trial was postponed, Doorewaard had denied ever seeing Pakisi until the murder trial had commenced.
“The first time I saw Pakisi was at the

inspection in loco that was done at the start of the court case. I cannot say that I deprived Pakisi of his freedom since I
have never seen him before,” he said.
Doorewaard also testified that he first saw Matlhomola Moshoeu on the morning
of Thursday 20 April 2017, the day the teenager died.
The accused told the court that Moshoeu voluntarily climbed onto the van
after him and his co-accused Schutte caught him stealing sunflower. He said their intention was to take Moshoeu to
the local police station to report the alleged
crime he committed. Doorewaard said he drove with Moshoeu
at the back of the van and after
about a 200 metre drive this is when he realised that Moshoeu had jumped off
the van. He further told the court that he returned
to go and look for Moshoeu and found him laying on the gravel road with
blood coming out of his mouth and that he was still breathing. He said at this
point, there was nothing he could do for Moshoeu. Last week the North West High Court
dismissed an application for the accused
to be discharged under section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Act.
The court dismissed the application to
discharge the duo, but they were acquitted on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition. The two are currently out on R5000 bail each for charges of murder, intimidation,
kidnapping, theft and pointing of a firearm.