18 November 2018


THE OFFICIAL BOKONE BOPHIRIMA GOVERNMENT NEWSPAPER

Teacher Thulisile Ngwenya murder trial kicks off 

by: Nthusang Lefafa   date: 26 june 2018

The murder trial of former Lekoko Primary School teacher, Thulisile Ngwenya, is expected to get underway today (Tuesday 26 June 2018). This after the North West High Court in Mahikeng postponed it by a day from Monday 25 June. 
Headboy Njokweni (51) and Sfiso Ndawande (51) appeared briefly before the court on four charges of murder, kidnapping, robbery and rape.  
Following a long delay, the judge postponed the matter to the following day because the defence had requested to thoroughly consult with their clients because new evidence had surfaced.
Members of Mahikeng communities came out in numbers to support the Ngwenya family. Ngwenya was reported missing on Sunday 22 October 2017 after she was last seen the previous day while going to one of the banks in town. Her decomposed body was found by a shepherd on Wednesday 25 October 2017 near Bokone Village in Mahikeng.
Through dedicated efforts of a task team set up by the South African Police Service (SAPS) and its crime intelligence, two suspects from Johannesburg were arrested for allegedly kidnapping and killing Ngwenya.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) believes that it has got a strong case against the two suspects due to the evidence police have found. 
“As the state we have a strong case because the two men are linked to the use of the deceased’s credit card through video footage,” said the NPA in a statement.
The Mahikeng community is still angered by this heinous crime. Some sections of society feel that the alleged killers have no regard for the rule of law. 
“The actions of these two men have left us feeling unsafe in our community and we are heartbroken. These two men deserve to rot in jail because when this inhumane crime was carried out there was no consideration for the family of the deceased,” said community member, Matlakala Kgaupe.
The North West Provincial SAPS Commissioner, Lieutenant General Baile Motswenyane, applauded the team for working tirelessly to track down and arrest the suspects. She said the arrests would serve as a deterrent to potential criminals that crime does not pay. Motswenyane said the suspects committed a horrific act, which must be treated seriously.
The two men were denied bail last year and will remain in police custody at the Rooigrond Correctional Facility as the trial continues.